Friday, June 24, 2011

C22-Your favorite 5 books

I like fiction books a lot. I like reading poems too, but never had a single anthology yet. I have read many books growing up, both Malay and English. These might not be my most favourite book, as I believe I may have forgotten some of it, but these that I still remembers to be among the best :

1. The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini - I had the book reviewed here, the story line is simple, about a boy and his friend, how he was 'betrayed' and how they moved on from the Taliban ruled Afghanistan. (I own)

2. Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami - A story set in the late 1960's, when Beatles' music were booming, when most of youth movement starts to form worldwide. Its about a guy's relationship with his deceased friend's girlfriend, and how he got through his student days. There was also an elaborate part of a sanatorium, where the girl lives after an emotional breakdown. Its a Japanese novel translated to English after almost a decade being in top spot of its own country. (I own)

3. Putik, Aziz Afkar - A very sad story of a young girl named Putik. She was born out of wedlock and the mother left her to a friend, while she fled the kampung and finds work in KL. In the mean time Putik was not well taken care off, she was pushed to do all sorts of chores at such a young age. From the writers description, she could not be more than 5 years old. She was not living like any other kids her age. The story ends with Putik died, after being brutally beaten and ****. I was crying uncontrollably during reading the book. I only read it once, yet I still remembers the plot and even some parts quite clearly. (I borrowed)

4. The Runaway Jury, John Grisham - Maybe the first John Grisham's novel that I read. The plot is complicated, twisted, and so full of lawyer-y terms. I became a fan since. (I own)

5. Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery - I read this book during primary/secondary school. I did not own the book, and the one in the school library was the hard cover version, so it was not up for the kids to borrow. So what I did, everyday I would go in and read 1-2 pages. I can't remember how long it took me to finish the book, but I did it. I tried to continue with Anne of Avonlea, somehow I did not finished it. Maybe I should buy a copy now and actually finish reading it ;) (I read slowly in the library)

I have the tendency to like the book that makes me cry. The darker the story line, the better, the more I cried, the more I think the book is good. Something wrong with me? because I also have to have once in a while my cry fix, be it books or movies. :(

5 comments:

  1. 1 tribe leader is about to speak. I wonder which tribe I belong to, hehe..

    Here's the link to the knitter's blog - http://yarnatheart.blogspot.com/

    Norwegian Wood.. I grew up listening most of the Beatles songs. What to do dah abang2 I were hard core fans of the Fab 4. Do try listen to that song.. sedap sangat (perhaps sesedap that carrot slice)... CS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeet,

    dlm ur list tu, i only read teh 5th one - anne of green gables...tapi kan tapi, i guna short cut, cos kemalasan melanda..hehehe i tengok dia punya miniseries... aci jugak kan kan kan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeet,
    Malu nak cakap tapi saya tak kenal/baca satu pon in your list. Tapi semua buku Harry Potter, saya baca :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. CS, thanks for the link, dah download norwegian wood, tapi xdan dgr betul2 lagi, thanks!!

    maya, aci jugak la ;) i think i watched the miniseries too!!

    aida, am sure you've read far more complicated books than i have (pillars of the earth??) i think i won't even survive the first chapter...hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be an enjoyable read The Runaway Jury by John Grisham. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete

“Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you." ~ William Arthur Ward...

So what say you? ;)